Close Reading and Critical Thinking about Dickinson’s Poems
- What do these two poems mean to you, line-by-line and overall as a whole poem?
- Point out important symbols, important poetic devises, etc.
- Show me your best close reading and analysis skills — your Upper School level skills!
Sketch and Annotate — Be ready to explain your work to the class. Show us YOUR meaning of the poems.
CHARLOTTE Perkins Gilman
- Schlesinger Library Charlotte Perkins Gilman Digital Collection
- The Neurasthenia Rest Cure and Dr. Silas Weir Mitchell
“Neurasthenia is no longer an official diagnostic category in Western medicine (except in psychiatry where it is rarely used outside China and Japan). Instead, modern physicians recognize different conditions, such as clinical depression, fibromyalgia, post-traumatic stress disorder, postpartum depression, and perhaps chronic fatigue syndrome and mononucleosis as being part of what physicians in 1900 called neurasthenia.”
Be sure to investigate…
Ida B. Wells