McClure’s Magazine, Volume 7, October 1896
- Craig – “Johnny Reb”
- Alden – Young, kind “Yank”
- Connor – Old, cantankerous “Yank”
- What are the conditions the characters find themselves in? What words set the scene?
- Where, if anywhere, does the description of these conditions change?
- What is the significance of the river?
- What words does Chambers use instead of “said”?
The 1954 short film A Time Out of War, based on “The Pickets,” was the first student film to win an Oscar; brothers Denis and Terry Sanders won the Oscar for Best Short Subject (Two Reel) in 1955. (It beat out a Walt Disney short! — Siam) The budget for the film was $2000.
From American Film Foundation: Oscar-winning dramatic short film based on the Robert W. Chambers story, “Pickets.” It is about Civil War soldiers on two sides of a river who decide to call a cease-fire for a few hours — creating a “time out of war.”