Part I: Jack Smith
As you know, you are to read Jack Smith‘s story and practice your note-taking skills. We discussed the format for notes in class: one column for Notes, and one column for Comments & Questions. If you were not in class when we discussed how to set up notes for this reading, please ask a classmate!
Part II: The Poetry of Bill McCloud
Read and annotate your Vietnam poetry packet (handed out in class – a few extra copies in bins right inside door, next to crate where I return papers – or print yourself a copy from link). As you read, please annotate for the following:
Reactions and Responses
- What does the poem make you think or feel?
- How does the poem relate to what we’ve learned about in American Studies?
- How do the poems relate to one another?
- What do you like or find interesting about the poem? What do you dislike about it?
- What surprised you, confused you, made you stop and think, made you see from a different perspective?
- Contrasts & Contradictions: Why is the character doing that?
- Aha Moment: How might this change things?
- Tough Questions: What does this question make ME wonder about?
- Words of the Wiser: What’s the life lesson and how might it affect the character?
- Again & Again: Why does this keep happening or coming up?
- Memory Moment: Why might this memory be important?
- Look up words or abbreviations you don’t know.
- What questions do you have for the poet, Professor Bill McCloud? As you know, we will Skype with Professor McCloud on Monday, June 4th!