- I can compose a clear, concise claim that identifies my main, central argument.
- I can support my claim with evidence and examples.
- I can explain my evidence with sound reasoning that demonstrates how it supports my claim.
- I can write with an academic voice, which is more formal and less conversational.
- I can accurately cite the sources of my evidence.
- I can meet the expectations of the 8th grade Writing Specs.
- I can follow all instructions provided. Note: This score is either a 0 or a 3 and cannot be reassessed.
GoogleDocs Document Set-Up:
GoogleDocs document name: First Name Last Name AS English Section DOI Mini-Q Essay / Example: Xavier Barth 1 DOI Mini-Q Essay
Page set-up: MLA format
- Header with last name and page number in top right corner of every page in 12 pt TNR font (insert header, right justified, type last name, hit space bar, insert page number).
- 12 pt TNR font, double-spaced — Everything is double-spaced with no skipped lines anywhere in the essay.
- First line: Name / Second line: AS English Section / Third line: Date (I use due date) / Fourth line: Title (centered) / Fifth line: Essay begins.
- Title may be in a different font or size but cannot take up more than one line. Capitalize important words in the title.
Document Evidence in the Mini-Q Essay:
- Whenever you use information from a Document, you need to identify where the information is from.
- Introduce your evidence, meaning identify what Document your evidence is from, whether you are directly quoting or paraphrasing your source.
- Give as much context for the Document as possible, including author names and article or artifact titles.
- Use attributive tags that weave the evidence into your essay as seamlessly as possible. Examples of attributive tags (used to introduce evidence and attribute it to its source) include:
- According to the “Declaration of Sentiments” in Document A…
- As the political cartoon by Steve Greenberg in Document B shows, …
- “The Consent of the Governed: Essential Principles” in Document C states…
- According to the “Declaration of Tea Party Independence” in Document D, …
- HIGHLIGHT your main claim/thesis statement for the entire essay in YELLOW (in your introduction paragraph). Also highlight the mini-claim/topic sentence in each body paragraph in YELLOW.
- HIGHLIGHT in GREEN particularly strong, descriptive, effective word choices. Be extremely selective.
- HIGHLIGHT in BLUE vocabulary words. Show off your understanding of vocabulary words!
- HIGHLIGHT each “to be” verb in PINK. Hopefully you have very few of these! You do not need to highlight “to be” verbs from quotations. (“To be” verbs listed below.)
|“TO BE” VERBS: IS, ARE, WAS, WERE, BE, BEING, BEEN
Writing Specs: Put on your writing specs and compare your paper to the Writing Specs for 8th Grade.
Commas and Semicolons:
Look at your use of commas and semicolons. Try at least one semicolon!
|Commas and Conjunctions:
IC + comma + conjunction + IC.
IC no comma DC.
Introductory word, phrase, or clause:
Introduction + comma + IC.
IC + semicolon + IC.
When you’re ready, submit your GoogleDoc on GoogleClassroom.