“To those of you who are offended by every third chapter of American Born Chinese, I say this: Thank you. You’re supposed to be offended. That was the desired response. You see, Cousin Chin-Kee is no more my creation than the Monkey King. I yanked him, every last detail about him, straight out of American pop culture.” ~ Gene Luen Yang
- Gene Yang on Stereotypes – May 1, 2007
- from an interview with Gene Yang by Kristy Valenti The Comics Journal (11 July 2007)
This Chinese-American cartoonist forces us to face racist stereotypes — Scroll down to find the section on Chin-Kee.
- Origins: American Pop Culture
- Long Duk Dong: Last of the Hollywood Stereotypes?
- The Fu Manchu series could never get made today